Miley Cyrus: What is Wrong With You?

I very rarely watch awards shows anymore.  As I approached middle age, the need to see who was wearing what and what was popular has become less important.  I remember Toni Braxton and Jennifer Lopez trying to outdo each other on who was going to be naked first.  In fact, Melody Thornton, of the Pussycat Dolls showed up at an event in 2012 with a see through dress on.  Everything that she was born with was on full display.  What Miley Cyrus did last night though begs the question of what exactly she is trying to prove.

Madonna was the first female performer to really push the envelope with regards to outright sexuality.  I guess the fact that she is still touring at over 50 years of age is motivation enough for Miley Cyrus.  The thing that shocks me is that Miley was such a wholesome character as Hannah Montana.  I would like to see an old episode just to see how trashy she has become.  At twenty years of age, she has already charted her next career path.



She came out of a teddy bear with her tongue hanging out suggestively looking crazed.  I don't think she sang as much as pranced around the stage.  She even patted the butt of a 6'7" female dancer a couple of times.  What is the symbolism if this gesture?  Her other teddy bears were dancing around like she was really doing something.  I am just feeling like the performance was contrived and more for shock value than entertainment.  I think her album has hung around the top ten this summer.  Kudos.  There were artists there like Ciara, Ashanti, Monica and Brandy that would have loved the publicity but kept their dignity.

Miley's dad did not see anything wrong with the performance.  Miley twerking and pointing her butt at Robin Thicke while again sticking out her tongue would have caused me to question my daughter's sanity.  Robin Thicke's mom was appalled by Miley's actions as were a legion of other celebrities.
Will Smith, Rihanna, Brook Shields and others all expressed some dissatisfaction with the performance.  I guess it's all about ratings though.  If MTV sees a spike in viewers, it will put on the same type of show next year.

Lady Gaga will probably have to do something to get the spotlight back off of Miley.  She did ten outfit changes and wore a clamshell outfit and barely registered a peep on the outrage scale.  She will pus the envelope in the next performance.   Toni Braxton losing her dress and showing her behind didn't cause a stir this time.  I long for the wholesome Miley Cyrus.  She is not having it though.  she posted pictures of herself today in a thong showing her butt again.  She is going to be raunchy no matter what.  I will make sure that I do not watch while she pursues her goals of outdoing Madonna and Lady Gaga.  God Bless you if it sells.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boardwalk Empire Season 4 Finale: Why Maybelle?

Life in Venezuela is Terrible Right Now!

Donna C. Coleman: Rest In Peace